What are some of the causes and symptoms of Back Pain?
Back pain is a common complaint among Australians which can be caused by poor posture, overuse or an injury.
- Poor Posture & Daily Habits: Prolonged sitting, hunching over devices, and poor posture can strain the muscles and lead to back discomfort.
- Overuse & Injury: Repetitive movements or sudden, strenuous activities can result in muscle strain or injury, causing back pain.
- Poor Sleeping Patterns: Sleeping in awkward positions such as twisted on your side, or face down on your stomach, can cause unnecessary pressure on the joints of the spine.
- Age Related Changes: As we age, natural wear and tear on the spine can lead to conditions like osteoarthritis or spinal stenosis.
Common Back Pain Conditions and Symptoms we help relieve at Wynyard Chiropractic
- Low Back Pain: Chronic or acute pain in the lower back region.
- Sciatica: Pain radiating down the leg due to irritation of the sciatic nerve.
- Herniated Disc: Discs that cushion the spinal vertebrae can become damaged, causing pain and discomfort.
- Muscle Spasms: Involuntary muscle contractions leading to pain and stiffness.
- Postural Issues: Back pain arising from poor posture and muscle imbalances.
- Scoliosis: Abnormal curvature of the spine.
Back Pain & Your Chiropractic Consultation
At Wynyard Chiropractic, we take the time to asses everyone individually as no two spines are ever the same. The options for care will be discussed by your practitioner, which are patient centred and tailored to your needs as there is no “one size fits all” adjustment. As part of a thorough consultation, our chiropractors will assess and chat to you about your current and previous back problems, previous injuries, posture, workplace ergonomics, daily habits, types of exercises and even your diet to understand the underlying causes of your current issue.
Our chiropractors will then examine movement restrictions of the back and surrounding areas, along with a thorough examination of nerve function as our starting point. The appropriateness of chiropractic adjustments for your back will be dependent on how it moves, age, previous injuries and experience, and patient preference.
Traditionally, chiropractic care has been centred around the use of spinal adjustments to restore movement. Adjustments can be specific movements or pressure applied to the spine at key points to restore movement of each involved segment, which importantly stimulates the nervous system to normalise its function. Your care may consist of a combination of adjustments, dry needling, cold laser, massage, exercises, stretches, postural advice, lifestyle advice and more.
The Chiropractic Approach to Back Pain
- Relieve pressure on nerves and reduce inflammation.
- Improve joint mobility and flexibility.
- Enhance overall function and well-being.
- Decompress disc pressure.
- Teach posture and structural exercises to prevent further exacerbation of the issues.
Preventing Back Pain
At Wynyard Chiropractic, we emphasise empowering our patients to prevent back pain through:
- Ergonomic workplace advice to improve posture during desk work.
- Exercises and stretches to strengthen core muscles and support the back.
- Lifestyle recommendations for a balanced, active, and healthy life.
Call us on 02 9235 2464 for more!
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/chronic-musculoskeletal-conditions/back-problems/contents/what-are-back-problems
Souza, T. A. (2016). Differential diagnosis and management for the chiropractor: Protocols and algorithms. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.